Below is a list of suggested equipment and supplies for your
Phenomenal Ireland Workshop
The items in red are a MUST
The items in green are not essential but suggested for a better experience
The items in black are optional and not required
1. A Digital SLR or Point and Shoot Camera.
I highly recommend a Digital SLR if you can afford one. I would be happy to help you make a wise, affordable purchase, but a Point and Shoot camera will still capture some awesome images, you just won’t have as many accessories or options available to you as you would with a DSLR
2. An original or downloaded copy of your camera’s owner manual so I can help you if we get stuck on something
3. Wide angle and zoom lenses
4. A sufficient supply of memory cards
5. A sufficient supply of batteries and/or chargers
6. A STURDY tripod and a very good tripod head. Some type of BALL HEAD is highly recommended. This is critically important. The tripod can make or break you, and is THE most important piece of equipment besides your camera and lenses. Get a tripod that is sturdy and not flimsy. I see too many horrible tripods. Invest in a good one. I CAN HELP YOU.
7. A remote shutter release for long exposures and to avoid camera shake. I use this inexpensive one for my Nikon and it’s wireless. You may be able to use one that’s wireless for your camera make and model, or you may need to get one that’s wired and plugs into your camera. Get one that works with your camera, if your camera will in fact work with one. Get extra batteries for it too. LEARN HOW TO USE IT BEFORE YOU COME.
8. A circular polarizing filter such as a Tiffen which are economical and of good quality. Make sure you get the size to fit your lens(es).
9. A hand held incident and/or spot meter. This may be your most valuable tool if you can afford one. I recommend the Sekonic L758D or L858D.
10. A gray target for optimal white balance. I will have these available.
11. Any and all medications and toiletries you may need
12. Note pad for training
13. Clothing layers and appropriate shoes for cool and wet or muddy weather conditions
14. A device for downloading and backing up your images
15. A Hoodman LCD Loupe like this one to view your images out in the field. Very important
16. Knee Pads
17. This X-Rite Color Checker Passport for amazingly true colors. You will WANT to make the $99 investment.
Watch THIS VIDEO and determine if you want to start using this. I will teach how to use it during the workshop.
18. A Rain sleeve such as this one.
19. Electrical converters and adapters kit for the electricity at your Ireland accommodations. I recommend this one.